Live The Life You Love, Use The God You Trust, And Don't Take It All Too Seriously

19.7.04

Kid Birthday Parties Made Simple

I used to be really into planning birthday parties for my kids. Everyone always had tons of fun except me. I was a mess running around trying to keep everyone on schedule, making sure everyone was having a good time. Not anymore!

The last year or two, I make it easy for me. Here are some tips I've learned the hard way:

1) Have it somewhere other than your house. (people don't have to know what a slob you are and you don't have to spend a week guest cleaning, not to mention party clean up)

2) Don't give your kids any ideas. (If they don't know what a pinata is, don't tell them, they'll only want one.)

3) It's their party, do what they want...within reason. (we have some family rules, one is we don't do Chuck-E-Cheese)

4) Only theme the party if they request it. (who wants to spend $ on spider man plates when they never give you enough in the package for all your guests anyway)

5) Keep the guest list small if possible. (they get to spend more one on one time with each guest if there are fewer of them)

6) Make them do the planning if they're old enough. (things tend to get scaled down quick this way)

7) Give gift suggestions in the invitation. (this is a courtesy for those who don't really know what to get, my kids have so much stuff, they really have to think about what they want because they have everything they really want. I've been trying to suggest a giftless party but so far, no one's biting)

8) Try to plan the party between meals. (you only need to focus on cake)

9) Let the party just happen once everyone gets there. (Except for some gentle leading i.e. games or cake break, you can just sit back and enjoy the party)

10) Take a group picture. (much easier to get everyone at once then to forget someone in the wrapping paper mele. Also, you know you got at least one good one that will be in focus)

Well there you have it, the lazy mom's martha brings you sage advice from the domestic trenches...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifershmoo said...

I think all your rules are right on! I love your gift suggestions included with the invitation, I wish I'd done that.

Anal person that I am, however, I must point out that you have broken rule number 8. Either that or you are leading us on with fake promises of pizza...

21.7.04

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Henry actually suggested it. (Damn, I should have never let him try pizza.)

21.7.04

 
Blogger Melonary said...

Jackie's BD is 8/18. She has been planning her party since last August 19. Here is a rule for party planning when kids get older: Set a budget. Tell them how much they can spend, then let them see how much it could cost to throw a party, especially one with a theme. Another idea: Have your kid be born during the warm season so that you can have the party outside.

27.7.04

 

Post a Comment

<< Home